I usually try to keep my professional life and personal life separate, but today I’m feeling the urge to write a personally relevant blog post, so I hope you will bear with me.
I’m feeling totally let down by someone I loved and trusted – silly me, as I should know better than to let myself get in that situation again. I’m quite a tolerant person, but don’t let that fool you into thinking I’m a complete pushover. There are certain ways people act that I won’t tolerate, and for the avoidance of doubt, here are a few things I won’t put up with…..
1. Don’t talk down to me, ever. I hate being made to feel small and worthless. I think that’s just a natural human reaction to be honest. Do this more than a few times and you can wave goodbye to your place in my phone book.
2. Don’t ignore me and act like everything is fine. I’m a perceptive person, not an idiot. Ignoring me just makes you look like you’re being childish and petty. Probably right on the money there.
3. Don’t underestimate me. I’m nomes intelligent than people give me credit for, without blowing my own trumpet. I have a good idea of what’s going on at all times and I know when I’m being taken for a ride, which leads me nicely to my next point.
4. Don’t cheat on me or lie to me. People think they’re good liars but when you really know someone you can spot every little glaringly obvious sign. From an off tone of voice to hesitancy or a weird explanation, call it women’s intuition if you will, hell, call it what you like really. I just know and I won’t put up with that crap.
5. Don’t take your bad mood/anger out on me. That’s yours to deal with. Yes, I’ll listen to you moan if you’ve had a bad day – far longer than most people would. But if you turn it on me I will be gone for good.
6. Don’t blame others. Nothing makes me more angry than someone who can’t take responsibility for their own actions. It wasn’t my fault you slept in, were late, screwed up at work or had a bad day off. You’re your own person so take responsibility and act like a man.
7. Don’t fail to apologise and then act like nothing ever happened. I want you to at least say you’re sorry or make it up to me if you’re in the wrong.
8. Don’t lie to me. Don’t get worked up about things then refuse to answer my questions and turn it around so it’s like I’m paranoid. Tell me the truth or we won’t get anywhere.
If you’ve managed to tick off most or all of the ‘don’ts’ on this list then congratulations; we won’t be getting along with each other for very much longer!